Pulse Results

LANDTHINK Pulse: Public Divided Over Farm Subsidy Issue

LANDTHINK Pulse: Public Divided Over Farm Subsidy Issue

January’s LANDTHINK Pulse revealed 51.8% of respondents think that the federal government should subsidize farmers.

Judging by the results of last month’s Pulse question, the general public is as deeply divided as Republicans and Democrats in Congress, on the issue of farm subsidies. On Tuesday, the Senate passed the nearly $1- trillion farm bill, and will be signed by President Obama on Friday. The United States currently doles out approximately $20 billion annually to farmers in the form of direct payments. About 75% of that money is given to affluent farmers and the largest agricultural producers, the main argument for decades of those opposed to farm subsidies for farmers. There are different types of farm subsidies, but direct payments have been the largest source to famers and farmland owners, who get paid regardless of whether they grow crops or not.

Last month, the January Pulse asked: Should the federal government subsidize farmers? This was obviously a divided issue. Of all those who answered our informal online survey, 51.8% said “YES”, the other 48.2% said “NO”, government subsidies should not continue for farmers.

The new 5- year farm bill ends direct payments to farmers and is expected to save tens of billion of dollars. In its place, farmers can choose from new subsidies if they take a loss. Most of the savings from the cut in direct payments will be reinvested into federal crop insurance programs.

LANDTHINK Pulse: Public Divided Over Farm Subsidy Issue

  • 51.8% answered YES, the federal government SHOULD subsidize farmers
  • 48.2% answered NO, the federal government SHOULD NOT subsidize farmers

Congratulations to Phil Williams, winner of the $50 Amazon gift card after answering the January Pulse question! Phil is a broker and land consultant with Carter Group Real Estate located in Jesup, Georgia.

Thank you to everyone who participated and shared the Pulse with friends and connections in the land industry.

LANDTHINK is seeking sponsors for the March LANDTHINK Pulse and months thereafter. Sponsorship of the Pulse is an excellent opportunity for land industry businesses and professionals to receive significant exposure by leveraging our entire network of web and social media sites. Pulse sponsorships are offered on a first come first serve basis and are subject to certain limitations. If your business would be interested in sponsoring next month’s March Pulse question, please contact us soon.

Do you have a suggestion for next month’s Pulse question? Submit your question here and we might choose yours!

When searching land for sale, what device do you primarily use? Tell us what you think! Click here to answer the February Pulse question. All respondents will be automatically entered to win a $50 Amazon gift card!

This content may not be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever, in part or in whole, without written permission of LANDTHINK. Use of this content without permission is a violation of federal copyright law. The articles, posts, comments, opinions and information provided by LANDTHINK are for informational and research purposes only and DOES NOT substitute or coincide with the advice of an attorney, accountant, real estate broker or any other licensed real estate professional. LANDTHINK strongly advises visitors and readers to seek their own professional guidance and advice related to buying, investing in or selling real estate.

About the author

LANDTHINK

LANDTHINK is part of the LANDFLIP family of sites and brings together the various components of the land industry and provides knowledge and information to land investors, owners and professionals to create a stronger land marketplace. Get land smart!

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment

The Pulse

In your opinion, what is a fair price to pay for leasing good hunting land?

ANSWER

THE PULSE SPONSORED BY:

RANCHFLIP

JOIN NOW
SUBSCRIBE

Join our newsletter to get exclusive content!

Get land smart with all the latest land knowledge, trends, ideas & much more.
close-link

Tell us what you think!

In your opinion, what is a fair price to pay for leasing good hunting land?
ANSWER NOW
close-link